BBA (Hons) in Financial Services
Bachelor of Business Administration (Honours) in Financial Services
Programme Code: 02402-BFS
Mode of Attendance: Full-time
Normal 4 years
Maximum 8 years (applies to students admitted in academic year 2019/20 or before)
Credit Requirements for Graduation:
A minimum of 120 academic credits, plus
3 training credits for Work-Integrated Education (WIE)
The first cohort for the revised 4-year curriculum will be admitted in September 2012
School of Accounting and Finance (AF)
BBA (Hons) in Financial Services
Chairman of BBA Scheme
|Professor Mike Lai Kee-hung|
|Programme Leader||Dr Jacqueline WANGfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Assistant Programme Leader||
Dr Derek Yim
Subject to accreditation assessment, graduates who have passed certain subjects may gain partial exemption from the Certified Financial Planner (CFP) programme of the Institute of Financial Planners of Hong Kong (IFPHK) and the professional examinations of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA).
The BBA (Hons) in Financial Services is part of the BBA (Hons) Scheme. The Learning Outcomes for the PolyU BBA are driven very directly by the mission of the University, which is in turn a reflection of its well-defined place in the Hong Kong community and the nature of its in-coming students. The Learning Outcomes set out below therefore represent a balance between the continuing need for ‘practicality’ in programmes and the pressing need for ‘whole person development’ in our students.
General Minimum Entrance Requirements
The minimum entrance requirements are the University’s General Minimum Entrance Requirements for Bachelor’s degree programmes, as specified below:
1. For those applying on the basis of HKDSE results:
- Level 3 in English Language and Chinese Language, and TWO other Elective Subjects; AND
- Level 2 in Mathematics and Liberal Studies
- Preferred subjects: English Language and Mathematics
2. For those applying on the basis of other local qualifications:
- An appropriate Diploma passed with credit or a Higher Certificate from a recognised institution; OR
- An appropriate Associate Degree / Higher Diploma from a recognised institution (suitable candidates will be considered for advanced standing entry to the senior year curriculum).
3. Other local/non-local qualifications deemed to be acceptable for admission purpose
The University accepts attainments in HKALE / HKASLE, GCEALE / GCEASLE and International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma for admission to its 4-year degree programmes. Applicants holding A-Level and IB qualifications will be granted credit transfer upon admission. When considering attainments in HKALE / HKASLE and GCEALE / GCEASLE, weightings will be applied to GCE attainments for admission consideration.
Entry for applicants with alternative qualifications will be dealt with in accordance with the University’s Academic Regulations and Procedures.
4. Language requirements:
(i) Applicants seeking admission to full-time Bachelor's degree programmes on the strength of non-HKDSE qualifications are required to hold one of the following qualifications for English language:-
- A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 80 or above for the internet-based test OR 550 or above for the paper-based test; OR
- An overall Band Score of 6 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
- For applicants applying on the strength of GCE results, Grade C / Grade 4 or above in GCSE / IGCSE / GCEOL English or equivalent.
- For applicants possessing IB qualifications, Level 4 in English.
(ii) As for Chinese Language, non-HKDSE applicants are allowed to use GCEASLE Chinese Language at Grade B or above, or GCSE / IGCSE Other Languages at Grade C or above to fulfill the requirement.
(iii) Individual cases will be considered on their own merit. Applicants concerned may be required to attend interviews or tests to further ascertain their language proficiency.
Indicative Progression Pattern for BBA (Hons) in Financial Services
|Year 1 (Semester 1)|
|1||AF1605||Introduction to Economics(2)||3|
|1||APSS111||Introduction to Psychology(1)||3|
|1 & 2||FB1003||Freshman Seminar||3|
|Year 1 (Semester 2)|
|2||AMA1501||Introduction to Statistics for Business||3|
|2||MM2422||Managing Business Information Systems & Applications||3|
|Year 2 (Semester 1)|
|1||AF2110||Management Accounting 1||3|
|1||AF2504||Introduction to Business Law||3|
|1||AF2602||Global Economic Environment||3|
|1||MM2021||Management and Organisation||3|
|1||MM1051||Tango! Managing Self & Leading Others(3)||3|
|Year 2 (Semester 2)|
|2||ELC3221||Workplace English for Business Students I||3|
|2||MM2711||Introduction to Marketing(2)||3|
|2||Free Elective 1||3|
|Year 3 (Semester 1)|
|1||AF3318||Principles of Insurance||3|
|1||AFxxxx||Specialist Elective 1||3|
|1||ELC3222||Workplace English for Business Students II||3|
|1||LGT2425||Introduction to Business Analytics||3|
|1 or 2||Service-learning||3|
|Year 3 (Semester 2)|
|2||AFxxxx||Specialist Elective 2||3|
|2||CBS3221P||Chinese Language Communication for Business||3|
|2||LGT2106||Principles of Operations Management(2)||3|
|2||Free Elective 2||3|
|Year 4 (Semester 1)|
|1||AF4513||Corporate Social Responsibility||3|
|1||AFxxxx||Specialist Elective 3||3|
|Year 4 (Semester 2)|
|2||AF4912||Capstone Project (cont.)||3|
|2||AF4322||Management of Financial Institutions||3|
|2||Free Elective 3||3|
|Total minimum academic credits: 120 plus Training credits in WIE (AF3002): 3|
List of Specialist Elective Subjects (choose any 3 subjects / 9 credits)
|AMA1500||Foundation Mathematics for Accounting and Finance|
|AF3212||Fintech Applications for Accounting and Finance Professionals|
|AF3322||Credit Analysis & Management|
(1) Cluster Area in Human Nature, Relations and Development [CAR (A)] under GUR can be fulfilled by APSS111 Introduction to Psychology;
(2) Cluster Area in Community, Organization and Globalization [CAR (B)] under GUR can be fulfilled by AF1605 Introduction to Economics, LGT2106 Principles of Operations Management or MM2711 Introduction to Marketing;
(3) ‘Leadership and Intra-personal Development (LIPD)’ under GUR can be fulfilled by MM1051 Tango! Managing Self & Leading Others.
AF4322 Management of Financial Institutions