MSc in Accounting and Finance Analytics (Mixed-mode) (Programme code: 21052-FAM/PAM) (New programme)
The advancement of information technology has made a great impact on the way of doing business and the practices in the accounting and finance profession. At the same time, the applications of data analytics have become increasingly important and significantly affected almost every business sector and industry. With the widespread application of emerging new digital technology to the accounting and finance profession, there is a need to equip students with the training of technological skills and knowledge to cope with the demands of the business community.
The Master of Science in Accounting and Finance Analytics programme is designed for graduates to develop a broad understanding of the accounting and finance disciplines and the applications of state-of-the-art technologies to manage the changing landscape in the fields of accounting and finance.
HK$159,500 per programme (30 credits) for local students.
HK$213,000 per programme (30 credits) for non-local students.
Student Visa, Accommodation and other Information for Non-local Students
Non-local students must obtain a valid student visa issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department before being allowed to register as students or commence study with PolyU.
Student residence in universities is in high demand in Hong Kong and, as such, our Student Halls of Residence is unable to meet the needs of all our students. Our Centre STARS has gathered some information on alternative accommodation in order to offer some help to taught postgraduate students. Please visit http://www.polyu.edu.hk/hall/index.php/non-local-students/off-campus-housing for details. You may also contact STARS' hotline at (852) 3159 0000 if you need further assistance on accommodation arrangements.
For information on living cost and related expenses in Hong Kong, please refer to http://www.polyu.edu.hk/miss/.
From late September to April of each year. Please refer to Study @ PolyU website for the application deadlines of individual programmes.
For further information, please contact:
Ms Kee WONG
Tel: (852) 3400 3379
For information on academic matters, please contact:
|Dr Justin LAW||
Tel: (852) 2766 4443
Current students can refer to the Definitive Programme Document for more details about the programme.
The programme aims to provide students with a combination of core knowledge in accounting and finance and skills in applying data analytics and technology to the related practices. It facilitates practitioners in accounting and finance to keep up with the latest data analytics applications and skills.
The programme emphasizes:
- skills and knowledge to perform data analytics in accounting and finance;
- core knowledge in accounting and finance;
- applications of data analytics in accounting and finance;
- systematic training and development of data analytics skills and capability in solving business problems in accounting and finance;
- enhancement of ability to solve accounting and finance problems using big data.
- A Bachelor’s degree from a recognized university.
Interested applicants with little or no working experience are encouraged to apply. Due to limited intake quota for this programme, early application is strongly encouraged.
If you are not a native speaker of English, and your Bachelor's degree is awarded by institutions where the medium of instruction is not English, you are expected to fulfil the following minimum English language requirement for admission purpose:
- A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 80 for the Internet-based test or 550 for the paper-based test;
- An overall Band Score of at least 6 in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Students can pursue their studies with either a full-time study load (taking 9 credits or more in a semester) or a part-time study load (taking less than 9 credits in a semester). In general, one evening class per week will be scheduled for each subject in Semesters 1 and 2.
Depending on their study pace, students should normally be able to complete the programme full-time in 1 year and part-time in 2 years with a maximum study period of 4 years. Students will be required to attend more classes in the evening if they choose the full-time option and the duration will be subject to class quota availability.
The programme offers structured progression patterns, and students are highly dencouraged to follow the patterns to benefit from a cohort-based study and to graduate within 1 year for the full-time option, or within 2 year for the part-time option.
The following is a summary of the core areas of study. Detailed information will be provided upon registration.
Compulsory core subjects (27 credits)*
- AF5115 Accounting for Business Analysis
- AF5203 Contemporary Issues in Accounting Information Systems
- AF5344 Investments
- AF5312 Principles of Corporate Finance
- AF5364 Quantitative Methods for Accounting and Finance
- AF5365 Applications of Computing and Technology in Accounting and Finance I
- AF5122 Business Analytics in Accounting and Finance
- AF5123 Financial Analysis and Valuation with Programming
- AF5366 Applications of Computing and Technology in Accounting and Finance II
Elective Subjects+ (3 credits, select any 1 from the following)
- AF5937 Accounting and Financial Analytics Project
- AF5201 Auditing Framework
- AF5322 Corporate Risk Management
- AF5351 Derivative Securities
- AF5323 Fixed Income Securities
- AF5112 Management Accounting
- AF5353 Security Analysis and Portfolio Management
- MMxxxx Business Intelligence and Decisions
- COMP5XXX Data Structures and Database Systems
- COMP5511 Artificial Intelligence Concepts
* Student may graduate with a Postgraduate Diploma (as an exit award) upon completing the first seven compulsory core subjects (21 credits).
+ Subjects are offered, subject to class quota availability.