- Associate Professor
|HEC Montreal, University of Montreal|
Finance & Financial Services
Consulting, Research and Teaching Interests:
- Corporate finance
- Corporate governance and compensation
- International accounting and finance
Dr Walid Saffar received his MBA in Finance from Laval University in 2003 and obtained his PhD in Finance from HEC Montreal in 2009.
Dr Saffar joined the School of Accounting and Finance at The Hong Kong Polytechnic University as Assistant Professor in September 2012.
Dr Saffar has been serving as Assistant Professor at the American University of Beirut since 2009. He had also served as Instructor at HEC Montreal and the University of Southern Indiana from 2007 to 2008 and 2008 to 2009 respectively.
Dr Saffar’s main research interests include privatization, political institutions and connectedness, and auditor choice.
1. “Near and Dear? The Role of Location in CSR Engagement” with Bryan Husted and Dima Jamali, Strategic Management Journal 37 (2016) 2050-2070
2. “National Culture and Privatization: The Relationship between Collectivism and Residual State Ownership” with Narjess Boubakri, Omrane Guedhami, and Chuck Kwok, Journal of International Business Studies 47 (2016) 170-190
3. “Disclosure Standards, Auditing Infrastructure, and Bribery Mitigation” with Samer Khalil and Samir Trabelsi, Journal of Business Ethics 132 (2015) 379-399
4. “Auditor Choice in Politically Connected Firms” with Omrane Guedhami and Jeffrey Pittman, Journal of Accounting Research 52 (2014) 107-162
5. “The Role of State and Foreign Owners in Corporate Risk-Taking: Evidence from Privatization” with Narjess Boubakri and Jean-Claude Cosset, Journal of Financial Economics 108 (2013) 641-658
6. “Political Institutions, Connectedness, and Corporate Risk-Taking” with Narjess Boubakri and Sattar Mansi, Journal of International Business Studies 44 (2013) 195-215
7. “Political Connections and the Cost of Equity Capital” with Narjess Boubakri, Omrane Guedhami, and Dev Mishra, Journal of Corporate Finance 18(2012) 541-559
The 3rd most cited Journal of Corporate Finance article since 2012 (source: ISI Web of Science)
2015 Emerald Citations of Excellence Award, recognizing the most influential and outstanding papers published in 300 business journals since 2012
8. “Auditor Choice in Privatized Firms: Empirical Evidence on the Role of State and Foreign Owners” with Omrane Guedhami and Jeffrey Pittman, Journal of Accounting and Economics 48 (2009) 151-171
9. “Political Connections of Newly Privatized Firms” with Narjess Boubakri and Jean-Claude Cosset, Journal of Corporate Finance 14 (2008) 654-673
The 3rd most cited Journal of Corporate Finance article since 2008 (source: ISI Web of Science)
2009 Esdras Minville Award, best Ph.D. student publication at HEC Montreal